I'm Melissa, and I've always been a storyteller at heart. On my way to becoming a photographer, I fulfilled every parent's dream by earning two degrees in creative writing. For good measure, I also have a background in documentary filmmaking.
Although academia wasn't a good fit for my career, I happily discovered photography while in grad school and I haven't looked back. Today, I'm a DC area-based portrait and wedding photographer on a mission to create unique images that inspire joy, no matter the occasion.
- The chance to work with people who are down-to-earth, fun-loving, and a little quirky is something I cherish.
- My goal is to always deliver photographs that capture authentic moments both large and small. Portraits are wonderful, but so is what happens when you forget about the camera.
- I'm grateful to live in a time where marriage equality is a reality in the country I call home. Working with people of all genders, orientations, and backgrounds is a privilege and a priority.
- I love to shoot weddings, elopements, engagements, and family sessions that are creative and focused on what really matters; I value working with those who are open to a twist on the traditional. If you appreciate a fun and authentic take on photography, I'd love to hear from you—please feel free to get in touch!
Want to know more?
- A sample of my food photography can be found in the cookbook Sticky Fingers' Sweets, published by Penguin.
- My work has twice been featured in the DCist Exposed Annual Photography Contest (2010 & 2012).
- My husband, Adam, has a BFA in photography and is my associate photographer and assistant extraordinaire.
- I'm allergic to gold.
- I love a good Netflix binge.
- I was pretty excited when scientists reinstated the Brontosauras.